At IPA, sharing resources and advancing the body of knowledge in the field of older adult mental health are fundamental to our mission. In this section we'll highlight opportunities for mental health professionals to further their learning or make contributions to the field. Please check back often as we continue to grow these Resources:
Think Tank on Hearing in Later Life- Statement of Intent
From our partners with the International Federation on Ageing (IFA), we share the following:
"On 9-10 November 2020, the International Federation on Ageing (IFA) and the International Collegium on Rehabilitative Audiology (ICRA) convened the Think Tank on Hearing in Later Life, gathering a group of inspiring and thoughtful leaders from across the fields of audiology, otolaryngology, psychology, dementia research, geriatric medicine, gerontology, academic, public health, government, industry, and NGOs. This statement of intent outlines why the Think Tank resolved to put in place a roadmap to build momentum and partnerships across sectors and represents a shared commitment to raising awareness of the importance of hearing care and treatment of hearing loss for older adults."
You can download the full PDF Statement including Key Action Areas, Delegates and References here.
IPA has compiled a number of resources and articles on COVID-19, mental health and the impact on the elderly population. These include links to:
- International Resources
- IPA Members (quoted or authored articles)
- National Organizations
- Research Collections
- Published Papers
We continue to add to these regularly with updated information, papers, links and more. Members are encouraged to share their works as well by emailing the IPA Secretariat.
On 19 February 2021, in conjunction with National Caregivers' Day in the United States, Acadia Pharmaceuticals Inc. officially launched MoreThanMemoryLoss.com, a new educational resource for caregivers and people living with dementia-related hallucinations and delusions.
Available on the website are a downloadable fact sheet as well as a 'doctor discussion guide'.
World Alliance of Crisis Helplines (WACH)
This world-wide network was created to:
- Improve access for people in distress to emotional support services
- Maximise impact of value of emotional support services through advocacy
- Increase information exchange, best practice and networking between members
- Offer training to promote the awareness of emotional health and suicide prevention
- Share information material
- Make joint presentations at international events
- Cooperate with other organisations that share the same concerns
Member organizations of WACH created the "Preventing Suicide - a resource for establishing a Crisis Line" handbook which was published by the World Health Organization in 2019. You can download an English version of the PDF here.
^Information above was gathered from IFOTES (International Federation of Telephone Emergency Services). IFOTES is a founding member of WACH.
Time for a UN convention on the rights of older people
Presented in partnership from the International Federation on Ageing (IFA) and The Global Alliance for the Rights of Older People (GAROP) are the following webinars, moderated by current GAROP Chair [and IPA Board member] Dr. Kiran Rabheru:
- 25 February: Are you ready for the 11th session of the Open-Ended Working Group on Ageing?
Click to learn more and register
- 3 February: Time for a UN convention on the rights of older people!
Click to see more information including a link to the recorded program
New Resources from HelpAge International - including a downloadable toolkit "It's about rights" available in English, Spanish and Russian.
Learn more about the #ItsAboutRights campaign and additional materials available here.
UN Call for Input: Deadline 22 March 2021
- Report on the causes, manifestations and prevalence of ageism and age discrimination
- Report on the intersection between ageing and gender and the specific human rights concerns and challenges faced by older women
Click to see more, including links to the full posts by the United Nations Office of the High Commission. Submissions are welcome in English, French and Spanish.
Baycrest International Behavioural Neurology Videoconference Rounds