Sleep & Healthy Aging
The 2018 Sleep and Healthy Aging Symposium is taking place on 14-15 September 2018 in Hoboken, NJ, USA at the W Hoboken Hotel. We encourage professionals from the entire healthcare team – psychiatrists, neurologists, geriatricians, primary care physicians, nurses, psychologists, social workers, occupational therapists and more to attend!
With a focus on sleep and healthy aging, this meeting will feature a distinguished international faculty of experts and will appeal to scientists and clinicians alike. Covering topics from basic science to clinical management, we expect a diverse group of attendees.
The role of sleep in the health, neurology, cognition and mental health of older adults will be presented with ample time for discussion and questions. Opportunities to present new data and innovative clinical protocols in poster form will be provided. The meeting will take place at the beautiful W Hotel in Hoboken New Jersey, across the river from Manhattan, with easy access to international airports.
Upon completion of this symposium participants will be able to:
- Recognize and discuss ways that sleep changes as people age.
- Show increased knowledge of underlying brain structures serving sleep and wakefulness.
- Identify and detail basic chronobiological mechanisms affecting sleep drive in older adults.
- Describe cognitive processes most sensitive to sleep deprivation.
- Communicate how sleep disruption increases risk of dementia.
- Distinguish advantages and disadvantages of methodologies for assessing sleep quality in geriatric patients.
- Understand principles for cognitive-behavioral interventions for insomnia in older adults.
- Communicate neurobiologic mechanisms relevant to new drug development for sleep disorders.
- Identify diagnostic features for common sleep disorders of older adults
- Recognize elements of a comprehensive assessment and treatment plan for fatigue and daytime sleepiness in older adults.
|Dr. Clifford Singer, MD
Acadia Hospital Medical Services
|Dr. Jay Luxenberg, MD
ON LOK Lifeways
|Dr. Sonia Ancoli-Israel, PhD
UCSD School of Medicine
|Prof Donald Bliwise, MD, PhD
Emory School of Medicine
|Dr. Chip Reynolds, MD
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
|Dr. Michael Vitiello, PhD
University of Washington
|Dr. Kristine Yaffe, MD
UCSF School of Medicine
|Dr. Phyllis Zee, MD, PhD
Feinberg School of Medicine,
|Dr. Mary Sano, PhD
IPA Board President
Mount Sinai School of Medicine